Remote and Indigenous community volunteering
Find out about the programs we run in the remote areas of Western Australia. We give you hands-on experience volunteering in the mainly Indigenous communities of Leonora, Laverton and Meekatharra.
- About the Remote and Indigenous Program
- Laverton program
- Leonora program
- Meekatharra program
- Clontarf Literacy Buddies
- Clontarf Numeracy Buddies
About the Remote and Indigenous Program
Our Remote and Indigenous Programs let you experience life in remote Australia firsthand and gain amazing insights into Indigenous culture.
Our life-changing programs:
- Have been created in partnership with each community
- Are built on strong, positive relationships
- Involve a wide cross-section of the community
- Assist in a diverse range of activities.
More information on the individual community programs can be found below. For any further questions about Curtin Volunteers! Remote and Indigenous Programs please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or pop into the CV! office, Building 303 Level 2.
Laverton is a remote community of less than 500 people situated on the edge of the Great Victorian Desert – close to 1000kms northeast of Perth.
We first visited Laverton in 1997 and have since helped out with a range of initiatives including:
- Police Blue Light Discos
- School events, and School Holiday Programs
- Out-bush days.
Our Laverton visits:
- Run eight times per year
- Run during school holidays (Monday to Friday) or over weekends (Friday to Monday).
Leonora is a remote community in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia, approximately 800kms northeast of Perth.
Our Leonora Program was established in 2009 and some activities we have participated in include:
- Youth educational workshops
- Hoover House restoration activities
- Leonora Golden Gift event.
Our Leonora visits:
- Currently run once a year for the Leonora Golden Gift weekend
- Run during the weekend (Friday to Monday).
Meekatharra is a remote community in the mid-west region of Western Australia, approximately 800kms northeast of Perth.
Our Meekatharra program started in 2014 and we have contributed to:
- Meekatharra Outback Festival
- School holiday programs.
Our Meekatharra visits:
- Runs during October
- Runs over a full week (generally Friday to Friday).
Clontarf Literacy Buddies
Our Clontarf Literacy Buddies program:
- Connects volunteers with Clontarf Aboriginal College students to improve their literacy skills
- Runs sessions on a one-to-one basis during the college’s designated literacy time.
If you have a good grasp of the English language and are keen to share your knowledge, you are invited to become a buddy.
Clontarf Numeracy Buddies
Our Clontarf Numeracy Buddies program:
- Connects volunteers with Clontarf Aboriginal College students from years 7-9 (ages 12-14)
- Improves student’s numeracy skills
- Runs sessions on a one-to-one basis during the college’s designated numeracy time
- Concentrates on addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
If you like mathematics and are keen to share your knowledge, you are invited to become a buddy.