Skip to content
Curtin University

Internal EAP

The Counselling Service is Curtin University’s internal Employee Assistance Program provider and offers a range of services for staff. It also organises group workshops for staff members.

Page Index

Who is eligible for counselling services?

Counselling services are free to all staff, including those on leave, for up to 10 sessions in a calendar year. This extends up to 3 months after termination of employment at Curtin.

Couple counselling is provided to staff members and their partners as requested, however this is subject to demand on the Service and therefore may not be available at the busy times of year.

Please also note partners of staff members have access to free counselling on any matter concerning the staff member's well-being. Family members may also receive free access following any critical incidents.

Back to top

Employee assistance

For further information regarding external EAP services please refer to the External EAP page.

For further information regarding your internal service provider - Counselling and Disability Services (CDS) - please continue reading.

Services provided at CDS include:

  • General consultation on matters related to the EAP program
  • Providing expert advice and support to supervisors and managers dealing with complex and sensitive workplace issues
  • Personal counselling 
  • Crisis and trauma counselling 
  • Procedural/organisational advice
  • Counselling programs for staff.

Matters which may be raised with a counsellor include:

  • Marital or other relationship difficulties 
  • Substance misuse
  • Mental health problems 
  • Assault—sexual or otherwise 
  • Work-related difficulties 
  • Interpersonal conflict 
  • Redundancy and redeployment 
  • Physical disabilities 
  • Cross-cultural problems.

Workers compensation

Curtin University's Workers Compensation and Rehabilitation Program is managed by Injury Management Services.

However, CDS provides assistance in matters which may have some bearing on compensation and rehabilitation. It has no management role in relation to this area and does not provide rehabilitation services arising from workers compensation claims.

Illness and sick leave

CDS does not authorise sick leave but will refer staff for medical opinion where appropriate.

Grievances, mediation and conflict management

CDS does not provide mediation support or dispute resolution counselling.

However, our counsellors will be able to advise staff on the operation of the University's grievance procedures.


The Counselling Service does not provide industrial advocacy for staff but can provide referrals to the appropriate union or alternative source of support if required.

Work performance issues

CDS does not act on behalf of management in relation to work performance problems. However, a supervisor may recommend (but not require) that a staff member enter into an EAP performance contract with the Counselling Service when a work performance problem arises.

With this contract, staff can have their attendance at the Counselling Service formally recognised by the University in response to an identified work performance problem.

As all consultations are covered by the confidentiality policy, client consent is required for any disclosure, including disclosure of attendance. CDS will not vary this in the absence of a written contract that formalises expectations on feedback and confidentiality provisions.

Guidelines on EAP performance contracts are available from CDS.

For further employee assistance, please contact People and Culture.

Back to top


The Counselling Service will offer a range of group sessions for staff each year.

Please go to the Group programs section for a list of topics for the next semester.

Back to top