Skip to content
Curtin University

Indigenous counselling services

The Counselling Service offers specialised services for Curtin's Indigenous students and staff. Joyleen Koolmatrie, an Aboriginal psychologist, works from both CAS and CDS and provides a safe, confidential, professional and free place to talk.

Page Index

Why might I want to see a counsellor?

Sometimes there are difficulties that are hard to discuss with family, friends or work colleagues, and you may need an independent party to confide in. A professional counsellor/psychologist would be one such person, who may help you resolve problems and prevent future ones from developing.

Back to top

What issues do people raise with a counsellor?

 Frequently raised issues include:

  • Family issues
  • Feelings of academic inadequacy
  • Relationships with others
  • Social anxieties
  • Cultural concerns
  • Depression
  • Balancing the demands of family and study
  • Sexuality
  • Traumatic events (recent or older)
  • Anxiety
  • Stress
  • Loss of a loved one
  • Witnessed or heard any form of trauma
  • Student issues.

Back to top

To make an appointment:

Joyleen is available at CAS on Tuesdays, Wednesdays (half day) and Fridays, and at Counselling and Disability Services on Mondays and Thursdays. 

To make an appointment please phone Counselling and Disability Services on 9266 7850. Or if you are seeking help on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday you can also present at Joyleen's office at the Centre for Aboriginal Studies during working hours.

Counselling and Disability Services
Building 109, Level 2
Mondays and Thursdays
Ph: 9266 7850

Centre for Aboriginal Studies
Tuesdays, Wednesdays (half day) and Fridays
Building 211, room 228

Back to top