Skip to content
Curtin University

How to register for disability assistance

Students with a diagnosed disability, medical condition and/or mental health condition are eligible for assistance from Disability Services, with provision of supporting documentation from a health professional.

Page Index

Who can receive assistance?

Any student with any disability or medical condition that is diagnosed by a doctor or other qualified health service provider and affects their studies is eligible for support through Disability Services.

The definition of a 'disability' is very broad. Common disabilities and medical conditions seen at university are:

  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • mental health problems such as Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar Affective Disorder and Schizophrenia
  • Specific Learning Disabilities such as Dyslexia
  • medical problems such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Epilepsy and Diabetes
  • temporary disabilities such as fractures and injuries
  • vision and hearing impairments.

Back to top

How to register with Disability Services

  • Make an appointment with a Disability Advisor to discuss your situation and requirements. Phone appointments are available to students who cannot attend the Bentley campus
  • In most cases you will have to provide recent medical documentation about your disability or medical condition
  • Please advise us if you have any specific needs for the appointment, such as accessible parking, information in an alternative format or an Auslan interpreter.

Back to top

Health Professional documentation

Students who require disability support and 'reasonable adjustments' must provide the Disability Advisor with a letter or statement from an appropriately qualified health professional  or a completed 'Health Professional's Report form',  providing information about your disability/medical condition and how it impacts on your studies.

You can download the Health Professional's Report form below.

Appropriately qualified health professionals include:

  • General practitioners
  • Medical specialists
  • Psychologists
  • Occupational therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Speech pathologists
  • Social workers
  • Optometrists
  • Audiologists.

All documentation must be provided in English.

Currency of documentation

All Health Professional documentation must meet the following currency requirements:

  • For temporary or changing conditions, new documentation must be provided each semester
  • For permanent conditions, documentation must be submitted initially and thereafter only if there is a change in the condition
  • For learning disabilities, documentation must be dated within the past 3 years if the assessment was conducted before the age of 16. If the assessment was conducted after the age of 16 it should be valid for the duration of your studies.

Disability Services will make the final decision on the suitability of documentation provided and how often it should be updated.

Back to top