Health services for international students Skip to content
Curtin University

Health services for international students

Curtin's Health Services caters to international students.

Page Index

What to expect from Australian medical services

You may find that the Australian health system works in a different way to the system you used in your home country. In Australia most medical problems are treated by General Practitioners (GPs) who have a wide range of experience in all aspects of health for adults and children. Specialist doctors are available but you need to see a GP first to arrange a referral.

Nearly all GPs work with an appointment schedule which means you must call the doctor to arrange a time to see them.

Emergency problems are usually seen without an appointment so it is always best to tell the medical receptionist what type of problem you have so they can help you see the doctor as quickly as possible.

It is useful to know how to work with your doctor to ensure you get the best possible health care - have a look at the Top Tips for Safer Healthcare:

Back to top

Overseas Student Health Cover (Allianz Global Assistance)

Overseas Student Health Cover has a representative on campus in the Student Service Centre (Building 101, Bentley Campus). See Current Students for current opening hours.

Back to top

Medibank OSHC

The closest Medibank Private office to the Bentley Campus is located at the Westfield Shopping centre on Albany Hwy, Cannington.

Back to top