FAQs Skip to content
Curtin University


Got a SSA-related query? Find the answers to some of the more common questions people have about SSA services below.

Page Index

What kinds of problems can a Student Support Advisor help with?

Life can present a variety of challenges and problems, and sometimes this can cause distress and confusion. Sometimes it can be helpful to talk to someone who is professional and separate from the situation. A SSA can help you to explore the issues and help you create a plan to overcome any barriers which may be preventing you from studying.

SSAs are skilled in providing a non-judgemental and safe environment in which you can talk in confidence. If necessary, your SSA can also refer you to external agencies for further assistance.

Back to top

What type of support is offered?

SSAs offer personal conultations (one to one appointments) in relation to the following types of issues:

- Accommodation support: housing concerns or potential evictions.
- Nutritional needs: including lack of money for food and nutritional advice for a healthy, balanced diet.
- Family and domestic violence concerns: including creating a safety plan, support with legal proceedings and referrals to domestic violence support agencies (also for refugees).
- Hygiene concerns.
- Medical issues/hospitalisations: liaison with hospitals, support agencies and family members.
- Transportation issues.
- Financial hardship: inability to pay bills or university fees, or unexpected financial crises.
- Addresing multiple concerns: creating and implementing plans to address a combination of the above.

Many students also seek to see a SSA for assistance with university related policies and procedures. These include: obtaining a leave of absence (LoA), deferred assessments, withdrawing from units, and appeals.

SSAs can also assit with educational servies. That is, providing individal consultations and specialist group programs on effective learning strategies and skills.

Back to top

What will my appointment cost?

Appointments with the SSAs are free for enrolled students.

Back to top

How many sessions or appointments will I have access to?

Clients are limited to a maximum of 10 sessions per year.

Back to top

How do I make an appointment to see a SSA?

If you are on campus, drop in or call us during the following hours:

Monday–Thursday: 8.00am to 5.00pm
Friday: 8.00am to 4.30pm.

If the matter is urgent, you can telephone or come in and be seen briefly by the Triage Counsellor without a booking during the following hours:

Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday: 9.00 to 11.00am & 1.00 to 3.00pm
Wednesday: 9.00 to 11.00am only
Friday: 9:00 to11:00 am & 1:00 to 2:00 pm.

Please go to the making an appointment page for more information.

Back to top

How can I be sure that what I talk about will remain private?

The Student Support Service complies with professional and legal requirements of confidentiality as well as the University’s policy on privacy.

For more information, refer to the Confidentiality page on the Counselling website.

Back to top

Are international students able to speak with the SSAs?

The SSAs work closely with international students and are very familiar with issues that particularly affect them.

Back to top

What qualifications do the SSAs have?

The SSAs are qualified social workers.

Back to top

I am concerned about a friend/family member, what can I do?

It is best to make an appointment with one of the counsellors or SSAs to discuss your concerns.

Back to top

How do I register for a workshop or group you run?

You can register for group programs on our Training and Workshop page.

Back to top