Skip to content
Curtin University

Information for and about Carers

Here you will find information for students who are carers and bringing carers on to campus

Page Index

Students who are carers

If you are a primary Carer for a relative or friend who has a disability and your responsibilities are impacting on your studies, you may be eligible for support and adjustments to your study program and a Curtin Access Plan. Supporting documentation confirming your carer status will be required.

Please contact Disability Services to make an appointment to discuss this further.

Back to top

Bringing carers on to campus

Please contact Disability Services if you are intending to bring a Carer on to campus. Please see the important information below about insurance coverage for carers.

Insurance coverage for Carers on Curtin campuses

Where it is necessary for a Staff or Student with disability to utilise a Carer to assist them with day to day activities and/or placement activities, it is important that the insurance obligations for the Carer are considered, namely the University cannot provide insurance coverage for any Carer unless employed directly by the University in an employee capacity.

In the instance where a Carer is provided by an external body the external organisation should indemnify and provide insurance coverage for their Carers, however this would not apply in the situation where a relative or friend is acting in a voluntary capacity, and offering their services free of charge to you. In these circumstances, it is important that both the Staff/Student and Carer understand any exposures that may exist, in respect of their liability and/or injuries/illnesses sustained whilst performing these caring duties.


Back to top