Skip to content
Curtin University

Study Abroad

Take yourself on a self-directed study experience to locations around the world.


If you would like to study overseas at an institution that Curtin University doesn’t have a partnership with this is called Study Abroad not Student Exchange. This is a self-directed experience where you manage your application and study arrangements yourself using the following process:

  1. Select the non-partner host university where you wish to study.

  2. Research the study you want to undertake at the non-partner host university.

  3. Apply directly to the proposed host university (their Study Abroad application instructions should be available on their website).

  4. Follow the Study Abroad Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) procedures to ascertain if you will receive credit for your Study Abroad experience. The CRL process will take approximately 20 working days. We recommend that you submit this documentation as early as possible.

  5. If you’re accepted to study at the host university, apply for a Leave of Absence from Curtin.

  6. Pay tuition fees directly to host university. This amount varies between universities, countries and courses. 

As you’ll be studying at a non-partner university, you may be required to pay international student fees which you are unable to defer through HECS. You will not be enrolled as a Curtin student, so you should confirm with Centrelink to check if you will be eligible for Centrelink payments whilst studying overseas

If you are an International student, you are unable to study at a non-partnered university and must select to study at a Curtin partner university. 

Don't forget that when you return from the program, to receive credit you will need to submit your official transcript and marking key to 

Organise study abroad

Follow the steps on this page to organise your self-directed study abroad experiences.