NEXT STEP: Industry Mentoring
The NEXT STEP: Industry Mentoring program matches penultimate and final year Curtin students with industry mentors, including Curtin alumni, staff and friends, currently working in an industry similar to the student’s field of study or area of interest.
Coordinated by Curtin Careers, Employment & Leadership in conjunction with Curtin’s Alumni Relations, this program focuses on assisting students with the transition into graduate employment and enhancing their career development and planning skills.
Participant activities may include but are not limited to:
- Discussing workplace etiquette and employer expectations
- Researching industry and market trends
- Resume & cover letter reviews
- Workplace site visits
- Mock interviews
NEXT STEP allows participants complete flexibility when managing their time within the program. To suit your busy schedules, you and your mentoring partner decide when, where and how you meet. Admin will simply guide you along the way.
- Registrations are now open and will close Friday 28 April 2017.
- The 2017 program will run from May to September.
What's involved in NEXT STEP
- The program runs for 5 months, with a minimum 10 hours of contact time during this period.
- eMentoring options are available for mentors and mentees based outside the Perth metropolitan area. Skype, phone and email communication can be used where face to face meetings are not viable.
- It is recommended all local participants attend the official launch event, though it is not compulsory. This event will provide you with important tools to assist with your mentoring relationship, and can be used as your first meeting with your mentee or mentor.
- eMentors and mentees will be provided with online alternatives if attending the launch event is not possible.
- Mentors and mentees are invited to attend a final debrief and celebration event at the end of the program.
Register as a NEXT STEP Mentee
Benefits for mentees
- Connect with your industry in your penultimate or final year of study
- Discover a range of career pathways
- Gain confidence when applying for positions
- Learn what employers are looking for in graduates
- Gain inside information about industry trends
- Begin building vital professional networks
- Participation may be recognised on your Curtin Extra Certificate
- Certificate of Completion upon completing the program and evaluation survey
- Completion of the 10 contact hours can be claimed against the work experience component of the Curtin Employability Award
How to register
Registrations are now open, and will close Friday 28 April 2017.
To join as a NEXT STEP mentee, please click here.
Please be advised that it is a requirement of this program that all mentees complete five Curtin Challenge modules throughout the course of the program. The required modules are:
- 'Who am I?'
- 'Boosting Your Professionalism'
- 'How do I get to know my industry?'
- 'Stop Googling, Start Networking'
To be eligible for the NEXT STEP: Industry Mentoring program, you must be a penultimate or final year Curtin student. Students need to be enrolled in a current course throughout the entire duration of the program.
NEXT STEP: Industry Mentoring Terms & Conditions for Mentees are available through UniHub.
Join as a NEXT STEP Mentor
Benefits for mentors
- Enhance your leadership, communication and coaching skills
- Inspire students to reach their career potential
- Give back to your profession and community
- Learn fresh perspectives from today’s students
- Extend your professional network with other mentors
- Gain exposure to highly-motivated students and help your industry receive work-ready graduates
- Reconnect or develop closer links with Curtin University
How to join
Registrations are now open and will close Friday 28 April 2017.
To join as a NEXT STEP Mentor, please click here.
To take part in this program as an industry mentor, we ask that you have a minimum of 3 years' professional experience. The NEXT STEP: Industry Mentoring Terms & Conditions for Mentors are available through UniHub.
NB: Whilst best efforts are undertaken to match mentors and mentees based on their degree studied and/or profession preferences, Curtin University cannot guarantee that the resulting match will align with this criteria.
If you have any questions or require more information, please contact Belinda Harris, NEXT STEP: Industry Mentoring Coordinator, by email email@example.com or phone (08) 9266 9863.
What you can do now...
Want to have access to industry professionals any time throughout
the year? Find out more about
FIRST STEP: Industry Guidance.
These resources are exclusive to Curtin students, log in with your OASIS details.