NEXT STEP: Industry Mentoring
The NEXT STEP: Industry Mentoring program matches penultimate and final year Curtin students with industry mentors currently working in an industry similar to the student’s field of study or area of interest.
Coordinated by Curtin Careers, Employment & Leadership, this program focuses on assisting students with the transition into graduate employment and enhancing their career development and planning skills.
- Registrations for the 2016 program have now closed.
- Expressions of interest for the 2017 program are open and can be found here.
What's involved in NEXT STEP
- The program runs for 5 months, with a minimum 10 hours of contact time during this period.
- Students should allow for an additional 10 hours to complete their program requirements.
- eMentoring options are available for mentors and mentees based outside the Perth metropolitan area. Skype, phone and email communication can be used where face to face meetings are not viable.
- It is recommended all local participants attend the official launch event, though it is not compulsory. This event will provide you with important tools to assist with your mentoring relationship, and can be used as your first meeting with your mentee.
- eMentors and mentees will be provided with online alternatives if attending the launch event is not possible.
- Mentors and mentees are invited to attend a final debrief and celebration event at the end of the program.
Benefits for Mentors
- Enhance your leadership, communication and coaching skills.
- Inspire students to reach their career potential.
- Give back to your profession and community.
- Learn fresh perspectives from today’s students.
- Extend your professional network with other mentors.
- Gain exposure to highly-motivated students and help your industry receive work-ready graduates.
- Reconnect or develop closer links with Curtin University.
Become a NEXT STEP Mentor
Registrations for the 2016 program are now closed.
Expressions of interest for the 2017 program are open and can be found here.
To take part in this program as an industry mentor, you must have a minimum of 3 years professional experience in the relevant field. The NEXT STEP: Industry Mentoring Terms & Conditions for Mentors are available through CareerHub.
If you have any questions or require more information, please contact Belinda Harris, NEXT STEP: Industry Mentoring Coordinator, by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (08) 9266 9863.