Skip to content
Curtin University


Find out when international students have to leave Australia after completing their course, and how to apply for a visitors visa and permanent residency.

Page Index

Student Visa

Once you have completed your course we are obliged to notify the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) of your program completion.

International students are generally given up to 28 working days to leave Australia.

If students wish to stay in Australia after completing their course and do not intend to continue with further studies, they cannot remain on a Student Visa. Students will need to apply for another type of visa with DIAC to remain lawfully in Australia.

Your Student Visa will not remain valid if you finish your course early. You will have to check your eligibility for another type of visa with DIAC to remain in Australia.

AusAID students have a 'no further stay' condition on their visas.

Back to top

Visitor Visa

After completing your course, you will need to apply for a visitor visa to attend your graduation ceremony or extend their stay to have a holiday.

To be granted a further stay as a visitor you must have complied with the conditions of your student visa and be able to meet the criteria of a visitor visa.

It is recommended that you start to apply for a new visa at least two weeks before your current visa expires.

You may be ineligible if you have condition 8503 'No Further Stay' imposed on your current visa.

To be granted a Visitor (Tourist) Visa, you will need to submit an application to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

Be aware that Visa regulations change! For more information visit the DIAC website.

Please note: If the purpose of further stay is to attend a graduation ceremony then DIAC will also need:

  • A letter from the School or Student Central, Student Services Centre, indicating that the student will be, or has completed their course, and when graduation ceremony will take place.
  • You may present Official OASIS Communication that you receive - confirming that you have graduated and the date of your graduation ceremony.

Back to top

Relative's Visitor Visa

If your relatives wish to attend your graduation ceremony and require a letter to assist with their visitor visa application, an International Visiting Relatives letter can be purchased from Student Central, Student Service Centre.

Back to top

Applying for Permanent Residency

International students, who wish to remain in Australia permanently, will need to apply for Permanent Residency.

Permanent Residency applications can be made either from inside or outside Australia.

For further information, please:

If you employ the services of a Migration Agent, please ensure they are registered with the Office of Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

Back to top